Leading diversity by 2020 - the challenges
CIH's Presidential Commission on leadership and diversity is calling on housing organisations to sign up to and deliver against 10 challenges by 2020.
- Know the make up of your communities and annually consider how you can improve the diversity of your board, leadership and staff teams.
- Compile diversity-related data on the composition of your (1) board (2) executive team and (3) total workforce and publish it in an accessible format in your annual report.
- Challenge all staff (and external agencies) responsible for recruitment to ensure that all shortlists include appropriate candidates from under-represented groups.
- Ensure staff members involved in recruitment have completed mandatory training to ensure fair recruitment processes.
- Set an aspirational target for board/committee recruitment from under-represented groups to ensure that your governance structure is representative of the wider communities you work in.
- Have in place succession and talent management strategies which reflect the principles of inclusion and diversity, so that all staff can succeed and progress, if they have the right skills and values.
- Identify and provide appropriate mentoring and coaching opportunities for staff and board members – within your own organisation and/or with external agencies.
- Make diversity training mandatory for all staff, and use your corporate communications and culture strategies to ensure diversity is embedded within the organisational values.
- Champion the business case for a diverse workforce and leadership – encourage your colleagues, peers and partners to sign up to the challenges.
- Sign up and work towards the CIH Charter for Equality and Diversity.
Does your organisation want to take the 10 by 20 challenge? Find out more