The Riot Report: CIH, NHF and Inside Housing show how housing providers are building stronger communities
Following last summer’s riots, CIH, the National Housing Federation (NHF) and Inside Housing joined forces to find out how housing providers are helping to build stronger, safer communities.
Grainia Long, CIH interim chief executive, said: “We became aware of both media and anecdotal evidence around concerns of the resilience of communities and the way in which agencies communicate with one another, and with residents. So we set out to shine a light on examples of where housing providers are leading the way in these areas.”
The report sets out practical examples of how housing providers are working in partnership with a range of service providers in tackling the problems some people face in their communities. It highlights how housing providers are:
• helping young people to find new interests and develop their talents
• providing new directions for young people who are in gangs, or risk becoming involved in anti-social behaviour
• building individuals’ skills, and supporting them as they access education, training and employment
• supporting families, including helping those with the most entrenched problems through family intervention projects
• working to continually engage with communities.
Grainia added: “This report shows housing providers have an important role in helping to develop stable communities and how effective they can be in helping young people to find new interests, develop new skills and feel supported in their communities.
“We want policy makers across government and local areas to draw on the experience of housing professionals and the sector as they formulate policies and plans for the future, especially where these may concern riot hit areas or families.”
This report shows how housing professionals are already helping neighbourhoods to build stronger, safer communities and it will be sent to MPs and other decision-makers to emphasise the wider role housing plays in helping to set the political agenda and contribute to debate.The Riot Report: how housing providers are building stronger communities.