Getting a handle on housing
CIH Cymru has launched a campaign aimed at getting local council election candidates to focus on housing issues ahead of polling day on 4 May.
The “Handle on Housing” campaign lists five key questions that voters should ask candidates on the doorstep.
And it comes in the form of a handy door handle which can be hung on your front door giving you quick access to those key questions when a candidate comes knocking.
“CIH Cymru believes that housing should be one of the top issues in these local elections,” said CIH Cymru Director Matt Dicks.
“Housing is much much more than simply putting a roof over someone’s head. It is a public policy foundation stone that can, and should, influence and inform solutions across the public policy landscape.
“The Welsh Government has set an ambitious target of building 20,000 new affordable homes in Wales during this Assembly term, and local councils will play a central role in delivering that
“Councils have also been tasked with implementing a fresh approach to addressing homelessness through the Housing (Wales) Act 2014 and introduction of the homelessness prevention grant.
“So housing has to be at the centre of the debate about how local services are delivered and we must therefore ensure that those we elect are across the key pressures on housing in your local area.”
If your local council election candidates come a knocking then ask them these five key questions:
- Housing can be the solution to many public policy problems – is housing top of your agenda?
- Are you confident your party can support the delivery of the homes needed in the area?
- If I was at risk of becoming homeless imminently – are you confident your administration could support me?
- Are you aware of how the changes to the benefit system will impact our local community?
- What will your party do to regenerate the local area?
Download and print your door hanger
- You can download a copy of our door hanger to print at home
- You might have picked up a copy via WHQ or at our TAI 2017 conference - get in touch if you'd like some professionally printed door hangers to distribute in your community by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org