Equality and Diversity: Understanding Policy, Promoting Good Practice
Key Information Issue 10
Equality and diversity are important because:
- being aware of and proactive about the diversity of customers will ensure that housing organisations are able to provide the right services and meet the right needsembracing diversity helps housing organisations recruit the best talent available
- housing organisations have to comply with the law on equality and diversity issues and meet the demands of social housing regulators
- a positive approach to diversity will promote understanding and good relations between people who have different backgrounds and experiences, and this enhances the quality of life in local areas.
- provides an overview of the legislation relating to equality and diversity
- sets out the policy context for equality and diversity in Wales
- sets out population data in respect of each of the seven strands of equality, identifies issues in relation to housing in relation to each of the strands and provides a practice checklist for housing organisations
- highlights some examples of positive and innovative practice around the various equality strands
- provides a list a practical resources and where to find further information
Please note this briefing was produced before the Equality Act 2010 and the legislation presented in this document has therefore been superseded.
Click here for a welsh language version of Equality and Diversity: Understanding Policy, Promoting Good Practice