Help with housing costs - volume 1
Guide to Universal Credit and Council Tax Rebates 2015/16
This volume covers the rules across Great Britain for help with personal housing costs available through the new universal credit and council tax rebates schemes. This guide is designed to run side by side with volume 2 which covers housing benefit. Together they provide a comprehensive guide covering all the main schemes for help with housing costs in the UK. Written in a plain English style it is designed for easy use by tenants, homeowners, local councils, social landlords, welfare rights advisers, tribunal members and housing professionals.
This edition explains all the new rules for help with housing costs through universal credit and council tax rebates for homeowners, social housing tenants and private tenants starting from April 2015. It sets out the qualifying conditions for entitlement to universal credit and provides a more detailed explanation of the rules that relate to the housing costs element for homeowners and tenants of private and social landlords. It describes fully:
- Basic eligibility conditions for universal credit and council tax rebates
- Eligible rent and service charges for social housing tenants
- Eligible rent for private tenants
- The size criteria rules for social housing and private sector tenants
- Eligible mortgage costs for unemployed homeowners
- How and when payments are made – including when the housing costs element of universal credit can be paid direct to the landlord
- How to appeal a decision about universal credit or a council tax rebate
- Differences in the council tax rebate schemes in England, Scotland and Wales
- How local councils in England and Wales can set their own council tax rebate scheme rules
Purchasing this publication
This publication is not available for purchase via CIH. Hit the button below to visit the Shelter site where the publication is available, make sure to input the discount code CIH15 or CIH25 if purchasing both books to let them know you came from our website!
Please note - the grey buttons on this page will not work, the publication is only available for purchase by following the purple button to our partner site. Thanks!