Postgraduate qualifications for CIH chartered membership
One route to chartered membership is by completing an accredited academic qualification. We validate courses at postgraduate level across the UK.
The majority of these courses include APEX, the CIH practice requirement for membership. This is available to all part-time and sandwich course students. Some full-time students will be required to complete APEX separately through CIH.
CIH is now also partially validating wider programmes which may have housing modules within the course. It is indicated where further study is needed to achieve CIHCM.
EligibilityYou can apply to study one of these qualifications if you have:
- A relevant first degree or equivalent qualification
Centres will set their own entry requirements, so please check with the centre for the course you are interested in.
Centres design courses against a framework of expectations set by CIH. These expectations anticipate the key knowledge, skills and competencies expected from a CIH chartered member.
The courses will:
- reflect the cutting edge of theoretical and practical debate within the industry
- engage with local and regional housing issues
- meet the skills and learning needs of local students and employers
- Cardiff Metropolitan University - PG Certificate/Diploma/MSc Advanced Pratice-Housing. This programme is delivered by a blend of taught sessions and self study.
- Northumbria University - Housing pathway - MSc Surveying/Construction/Housing. This programme is delivered online via distance learning.
- Leeds Beckett University - Postgraduate Diploma/MA in Housing, Regeneration and Urban Management. Offered as full time and part time, day release delivery.
- University of Westminster - programme under review
- University of Glasgow - Postgraduate Diploma/MSc in Housing Studies
- University of Stirling - Postgraduate Certificate/Diploma/MSc in Housing Studies
- University of Ulster - prorgamme under review
- University of Northampton - L7 module (10 credits) validated in MA Social Work
What to do next
- Contact the CIH Education team to discuss getting your programme(s) validated towards CIH membership - full or partial validation
- Contact the CIH awarding organisation to discuss becoming approved to deliver a CIH qualification
- Contact your preferred centre for details of how to apply to study a qualification