Understanding refugee rights
Developed and delivered in partnership with the Scottish Refugee Council
DescriptionThis course aims to familiarise participants with the rights and entitlements of refugees in the UK and their role in fulfilling those rights. This course covers the routes to protection in the UK - the Syrian Vulnerable Persons Relocation Scheme (VPR) and asylum. It notes the legal context, the variety of immigration statuses and what entitlements they bring.
By the end of this course, delegates will be able to:
• Recognise the legal difference between asylum seekers, refugees and migrants
• Define and apply information on leave to remain, time limitation and public funds to entitlements to housing, benefits and social work support
• Understand the duties and obligations on service providers to provide housing and support to asylum seekers and refugees
• Understand the role of different agencies working with refugees and where to refer refugees and asylum seekers for additional help
• Understand how the Immigration Acts of 2014 and 2016 will impact on the housing options for refugees who rent privately or directly from a housing association
• Identify the factors that affect refugee integration and how these affect the sustainability of refugee housing
• Assess the common cases most likely to present themselves to Service Providers and how to implement best practice in supporting refugees
Who should attendAnyone who is working with refugees and needs a better understanding of refugee rights.
Jamie Stewart has 14 years experience working in housing, homelessness and welfare rights advice. Since 2013 Jamie has been the Housing Development Officer at Scottish Refugee Council as part of the Refugee Integration Service and whose role is to improve outcomes for refugees in Scotland through a range of services, policy and development work. He is a member of the New Scots: Integrating Refugees in Scotland Communities Core Group and its sub-group addressing the housing options of refugees. He is also a member of the Scottish Government’s Accommodating Refugees group which feeds into their Refugee Crisis Taskforce coordinating the resettlement of Syrian Refugees in Scotland.
Dates & Locations29 August 2017, Glasgow
Standard price - Full day - £260 + VAT
Member price - Full day - £235 + VAT
Contributing org. price - Full day - £210 + VAT
You can view our online booking procedure here.
Please note that if your organisation requires a purchase order number on the invoice, you MUST input this at the point of booking.
Terms and conditions
Please read our terms & conditions carefully before booking.