Housing law in Wales
5 July 2018
DescriptionAn introduction to housing law surrounding the management of secure and assured tenancies.
In detail the course will cover the nature of tenancies and the implications for housing management. Learners will gain an understanding of rights and duties of landlords and tenants including changes due to assignment, exchange and court orders.
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Differentiate between assured and secure tenancies and apply relevant principles
- Understand starter, introductory and demoted tenancies
- Understand common problems in accordance with the law and good practice, including suspected abandonment and unlawful sub
- Identify the housing consequences of relationship breakdown and follow appropriate procedures
- Implement tenancy changes on assignment, exchange, court order and death of tenant
- Be aware of grounds for possession and the steps that must be followed if it becomes necessary to seek possession against a tenant
- The distinction between a tenancy and a license to occupy
- Main tenancy types used by social landlords and rights associated with them
- The importance of tenancy agreements
- The role of legislation and common law in housing
- A brief overview of changes to tenure being introduced by the Renting Homes (Wales) Act 2016
Who should attendAnyone in the housing sector who would like an overview or introduction of housing law.
Trainer InfoGuy Wardle
Dates & Locations5 July 2018, Cardiff
CIH Members/Housing Partnership Organisations: £149 + vat
Non Members: £199 + vat