Route to chartered membership
Contact a member of the team on 024 7685 1789 for the course closing date.
This route to chartered membership is aimed at experienced housing professionals who want to demonstrate they have the knowledge required to lead people and manage change. The programme recognises professional capability and previous qualifications and is a commitment to maintaining up-to-date knowledge of housing issues.
Applicants need to demonstrate that they have knowledge and experience in housing before applying for this programme. Please ensure you meet one of the three eligibility routes below:
- You've worked in housing or the built environment for five years, two of which are at management level AND you have a degree level qualification or a minimum Level 4 CIH qualification
- You've worked in housing or the built environment for three years AND you are a fully qualified member of another professional body
- You have more than five years' experience working as a senior manager or head of service in a housing organisation
I work in an academic setting, how can I evidence that have a practical understanding/experience of housing?
- You might have worked in housing practice before you became an academic or are currently a board member of a housing association or something similar
- You have researched and published on an aspect of housing practice
- Through your teaching you disseminate information on housing practice and how skills and competences to work in the housing sector can be developed and enhanced
There are two steps for those who want to gain chartered membership via this route:
- Step 1 – submit a 5,000 word assignment for assessment which includes details of professional experiences in housing and a Continuous Professional Development (CPD) plan
- Step 2 – complete an interview assessing your experience, reflective ability and understanding of ethical issues (Candidates both inside and outside the UK will be advised after completion of their assignment of arrangements for the interview)
Successful completion of both parts will confirm you meet the standards for chartered membership.
- No course attendance required – a reflective assessment process that is relevant to your role and organisation
- Can be achieved in four months
- Successful completion leads to CIH chartered membership and the use of the letters CIHCM after your name to show that you are a fully qualified housing professional
A registration fee of £1,000 for UK based candidates. Candidates outside the UK will be advised separately of the fee.
How do I apply?